Greeting (See Second Reading)
You are a chosen race, a royal priesthood, a consecrated nation, a people set apart to praise God. May Jesus, our Lord and Savior, be always with you. R/ And also with you.
Introduction by the Celebrant
1. Jesus Is the Way “Where are you going in life, or what are you living for?” is the most important question to ask ourselves, one another, the Church, our people. Many do not know what answer to give to this. Even, we, Christians at times feel lost. Yet we shouldn’t, for we have Jesus who shows us the way, who is our way, to God, to ourselves, to people. Jesus is not only our way but he is our companion on the road. Let him show us his way here in this eucharist.
2. The Way to God, to People, to Ourselves How sad when we have lost the way, looking for a person or address we can’t find. Sadder even, we feel totally “lost” when we do not know where we stand in life, when all looks confusing and senseless. Today Someone speaks to us, who says not only “I will show you the way, but: “I AM THE WAY.” Go with me, follow me, I will lead you to your goal in life. I will bring you safely to the Father and to people, even to your own true self. Live as I have lived, for I am the way and the truth and the life.
Penitential Act When we knew the way to God and to people, we chose to go our own selfish ways. We now ask the Lord to forgive and to correct us. (PAUSE)
Lord Jesus, our way, you were always on the way to people. Take us along with you on that road: Lord, have mercy. R/ Lord, have mercy.
Jesus Christ, our way, you went your painful way of the cross. Give us the courage to follow you there. Christ, have mercy. R/ Christ, have mercy.
Lord Jesus, our way, you are first of all our way to the Father: Take us along with you on that road: Lord, have mercy. R/ Lord, have mercy.
Have mercy on us, Lord, forgive us and keep us from devious roads. Go with us the way to everlasting life. R/ Amen.
Let us pray to our living God that in Jesus he may show us the road of life (PAUSE) Lord, our living God, you are a God on the way with your people; you led them through the desert to freedom, you sent us Jesus to be our way to you. Let Jesus walk with us the road to you, to our deepest selves, to people. Quench your people’s thirst with the water of life, keep giving us the food we need for the journey, the bread of life of Jesus himself, until we reach your eternal home. We ask this through Christ our Lord. R/ Amen.
A Ministry of Service When the Christian community grew, it solved difficulties of organization by creating new ministries of service to assist the apostles and elders.
Second Reading: A Priestly People Christ our high priest has made us a holy people of priests; our task is to continue the mission of Christ by making God unknown to people and giving praise to God in the name of all.
Gospel: Christ, Our Way, Truth and Life Those who believe in Christ can do what Christ did and go where he leads them, for Christ is the way, the truth and the life for us.
– Through Jesus, our way to the Father, let us bring before God the needs of the Church and of the world, and let us pray: R/ Lord, show us the way.
– Jesus, teach us and all your people your way, that we may be sure where we are going and that we live your way, doing what is right and good, we pray: R/ Lord, show us the way.
– Jesus, make our road through life smooth, filled with justice, mercy and goodness, that it may be a way of peace for all, we pray: R/ Lord, show us the way.
– Jesus, make all your people find the way to one another’s life and heart, that we may no longer remain strangers, we pray: R/ Lord, show us the way.
– Jesus, make us also discover the road to ourselves, that we may know who we really are and what we want in life; let what we want be what you want for us, we pray: R/ Lord, show us the way.
– Jesus, make us build roads that are safe and that lead people to one another rather than away from one another, we pray: R/ Lord, show us the way.
– Jesus, inspire each of us and our communities to become with you a way of light and love that leads people to God, we pray: R/ Lord, show us the way.
– Lord Jesus, we entrust ourselves to you. for we are sure that you will lead us safely home to the house of the Father, for you are our brother and friend now and for ever. R/ Amen.
Prayer Over the Gifts
Lord, our God and Father, your Son Jesus Christ showed us what it means to be for us the way, the truth and the life by giving himself for us on the cross and here in the eucharist to us. May we learn from him to give to one another our time, our compassion, our service and above all to give ourselves, as Jesus did, your Son and our Lord, who lives with you and also with us now, and we hope and pray, for ever. R/ Amen.
Introduction to the Eucharistic Prayer
Through Christ we go to the Father and with him we offer his sacrifice of praise. He has made us a chosen people to give thanks to the Father in the name of all the world.
Introduction to the Lord’s Prayer
“No one can go to the Father except through me,” said Jesus. Let us go, then, with our prayer to the Father in the words of Jesus himsel. R/
Invitation to Communion
This is Jesus our Lord, who said of himself: I am the Way and the Truth and the Life; no one can come to the Father except through me. Happy are we to receive him as our food on the road to the Father. R/ Lord, I am not worthy...
Prayer after Communion
God our Father, you Son Jesus Christ said: he who sees me, sees my Father. May the people around us see your Son and you, Father in heaven, when we become to one another the way to hope, justice and love, the truth that uplifts and reassures, the life that is given freely even when the cost is high. May Christ thus become to all the way, the truth and the life for ever. R/ Amen.
In this eucharist we have been the holy, priestly people of God. In union with the whole Church and in the name of all people, we have offered to our Father in heaven the sacrifice of his Son Jesus Christ. We will go back to our homes, but the Mass is not really ended. It has to continue to be offered, in every day life. For it is there that we become with Christ the way to God and one another, the credible, reliable truth, and the life of the people around us. May you do so wholeheartedly, with the blessing of almighty God, the Father, and the Son, and the Holy Spirit. R/ Amen.